Thursday, March 09, 2006

I Pee Freely

Well, it was good to get out in the country where I could chase storms and pee on the side of the road without the fear of prosecution. It was a weird set up yesterday. A high cirrus cloud blanket moved in mid-afternoon and snuffed out most of the insulation that was occurring in Eastern Kansas. Bummer! I decided to chase the dry line setup vs. the low that was spinning up through extreme NE Kansas and NW Missouri. I figured tor chances were low either way so I might as well stay close to the area I knew best and still be home in time for dinner. Well, maybe a little late. I left Iola at a quarter til 5 pm and headed north to Garnett, KS. The dry line was pushing east.














As you can see, the cirrus blanket was high and mighty.

Headed NE on the advice of my nowcaster for the day, Ann Money. Gee, thanks Ann, LOL. Got to Osawatomie and decided I needed to be further east for the cell that was developing over Allen and Bourbon Counties. Got to La Cygne and headed north on 69 to exit 399th St. Got in position (which was NW of the storm) and took these pics of the mammatus and a decent sunset. Because of the angle of the sun, the clouds turned a really nice shade of orange. The only processing done was a little USM to 3 of the pics. (Click To Enlarge)










This storm dropped marble sized hail a died out as the sun went down and as it crossed the MO border. The most adrenaline filled moment was not the lightning, thunder, or beautiful structure, but the herd of deer I almost plowed into at 70mph on the way home. Damn, we a longer rifle season here in Kansas. Thanks to my weather weenie mom Ann for the on the fly info. Ended up being a good practice session for the new camera as well. Later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home